Thursday, February 27, 2014

I'm back!!

Had a bit of a health thingy that was a huge distraction. It definitely put the kibosh on my stetching and art work in general. I am about on the other side now and getting back into sketching. One of the things I started doing was spending a few minutes, three to 30, doing "something creative".

I had purchased 100 luggage tags and they sat on my desk for quite a while until I thought about using them as a means of doing a daily creative piece. They all are different and I like being able to be creative in a short burst and have something tangible and "usable" afterward. Here are the first few of my luggage tag "bookmarks".


These first two are on tags with mat medium on them as a base on the paper. They have drawn shapes in pen, colored in with oil pastels then painted over with watercolors which "shed" on the oil pastels giving them a unique look which I really like.



This was a Valentine heart I made for my partner made over 2 layers of corrugated cardboard. I cut triangles of colored tissues and put a base coat of PVA and water 50% each then placed the tissue and painted more PVA mix on top. 


I decided to make a bookmark the same way. This was the "other side".


I bought some Derwent water soluble graphite pencils. I have had water soluble colored pencils for quite a long time but this was my first try with the graphite ones. Lesson learned - use on plain paper that doesn't have mat medium protectant on it.


This is a good picture of the "first" side of the collage bookmark.




You can really see the texture from the mat medium. The letters stand for Dark, medium, and light. Again, lesson learned, use plain paper without the mat medium.


The Derwent water soluble graphite pencils.


Cretacolor water soluble colored pencils.

3 comments:

  1. The luggage tags look like a super achievable creativity project to get you back in the swing of things. Look forward to seeing more! Viv (from EDM group)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see your recent work and hope 'health thingies' are all in the past and you are thriving and well now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane. I'm on the road to recovery - just a few more months...

      Delete