Sunday, June 23, 2013

Augusta, Maine

My partner, Brian, was invited to the Maine Sports Hall of Fame induction banquet this past May. He is visually impaired and hasn't driven in over 20 years so I made it an "outing" with my 92 year old parents as well. We ate out at Ruby Tuesdays while Brian was at the ceremony. Ruby Tuesdays is great because I can get an awesome salad bar, my dad can get fish and my mother a steak. We arrived at the Augusta Civics center a bit early and having just slipped a new sketchbook in my purse, I parked in the shade "with a view".
This sketch has remained unfinished since then.
A few days ago I decided I needed a bit of "color therapy" and finished it. It's not he best thing I ever did but I thoroughly enjoyed painting it.


7 comments:

  1. I really like the result of your 'colour therapy' :) and I like the fact that I also know the story behind your being parked just there, to draw this building at that particular time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane. I have always appreciated "others" stories about the story behind a sketch as well.

      Delete
  2. Hello Beth,
    What a lovely sketch/drawing/painting.
    Sounds like you had a great time there and of course, the fact that you enjoyed painting was the icing on the cake :-)
    Stew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great perspective! Looks like a Hopper house. Can you tell I just saw his big exhibit at the Whitney. Do you mind if I also draw from the photograph?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all. My partner told me (after seeing the blog post) that it is part of the University of Maine, Augusta which is right behind the Civic Center.

      Delete
  4. Your sketch of the place is really good....it has a unique look and that's marvelous to have...

    ReplyDelete